Friday, February 24, 2012

40 Days of Atonement Feast – Day 2: My Personal Jesus

The Preeminence of Christ
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.


My study for Day2 was Colossians 1:15-20 and I spent a lot of time here pondering what Paul was saying. As I looked up cross references and really considered the “preeminence of Christ” my head started to get tangled up in the mystery of the Trinity. As I started to reason myself through it I had to just remember the basics…God exists as three persons, yet he is one God. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Spirit are equal yet distinct.

I know that I cannot come to God the Father without the work of God the Son on the Cross or without the work of God the Spirit, all three persons are required for a relationship. What I was realizing though is that when I think of my relationship with God, it is always with God the Father. I know in my heart I cannot get there without Jesus’ atoning work on the cross or without the Spirit in me yet my prayers and conversations and relationship always seem to be with the Father through Jesus. So yesterday as I was getting all tangled I wondered why I did not relate more with Jesus and only see Him as the means to the Father if they are one? Do I fully (in my heart) understand what “through Jesus” really means and does my worship reflect this?

What’s even more perplexing is that God is invisible, I have no image or reference point of what He looks like or how big He is…when I think of God the Father I think I see a being the size of our universe. Jesus however I can experience, I know He was fully man and I can wrap my mind around that. He walked in my footsteps, He knows what it is like to suffer, He knows physical pain and discomfort, He knows what sorrow in the flesh feels like…why would I not be more inclined to be relational with Jesus? For now, this is how I best relate to the idea of “through Jesus”. I can experience God fully as Jesus is a perfect representation of God the Father through the power of the Holy Spirit.

I have to confess that clearly I still have some distortions even though I know and speak Gospel truth. Growing up I did not have any understanding of who Jesus was, what He did, or that He was even God. God was God and Jesus was His only begotten son that He decided to kill, this never made sense to me.

I fully understand, believe in, and have hope in all the significance of the cross. Jesus died in my place, fully taking on all my sin and in exchange giving me His perfect righteousness. Not because I in any way earned it but truly as a free gift of Grace and Mercy! I am holy and pure and only because of His atoning work.

My repentance this Lenten season is living fully in relationship with the Father, the Son, and the Spirit.

No comments: