Thursday, February 23, 2012

40 Days of Atonement Feast – Day 1: Prayer of Repentance for My Mr.

In celebration of the Lent Season, our family does a 40 Day feasting on the Atonement. So rather than focusing on what we have given up for God, we focus on Him and what He accomplished on the cross. Our family spends the 40 days studying some (or all) aspect of the atonement and then we share with each other what God is doing in our hearts each day.

I am starting in Colossians this year and yesterday I read Chapter 1 through verse 14. I was immediately struck by the beautiful prayer Paul writes to the church. As I reflected on this prayer I realized that this is how I should be praying for my Mr., daily! Then of course the conviction set in. My prayers for my husband are usually me-centered…they always relate back to me and my comfort, my security, my peace, my needs. At times they are Mr. centered but more in a worldly sense rather than godly; his reputation, his needs, his comfort, his peace.

The beauty of Paul’s prayer in praying this for my Mr. is that it covers everything he truly needs, it is my greatest desire for him, and it is completely God-centered. So Mr., here is my prayer for you and I pray that God would keep this close to my heart so that I would pray it often.

Father God, I pray that you would give me the strength and endurance to not cease in prayer for my Mr. I ask that you fill him with the knowledge of Your will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of You Lord, fully pleasing to You, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of You. May he be strengthened with all power, according to Your glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to You Father, who has qualified him to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. You have delivered him from the domain of darkness and transferred him to the kingdom of Your beloved Son, in whom he has redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

No comments: